Monday, April 2, 2012

The Partner


For my first April read I read The Partner by John Grisham. Back in the day (about 13ish years ago) I had a Grisham phase and read many of his popular books at the time, such as A Time To Kill, The Client, The Pelican Brief and The Firm. I enjoy a good mystery or law novel so I thought, why not revisit a former favorite author? My husband is a big Grisham fan, so I asked him to recommend one he really enjoyed, thus my reading The Partner.

The story is about Patrick Lanigan, a former lawyer who supposedly died in a car accident four years earlier but is found living in Brazil under the name Danilo Silva. Shortly after his alleged death, the law firm where he had been a partner, was robbed of ninety million dollars. The story is about Patrick's capture, what he's been up to for the last four years and what he is going to do about those pesky criminal charges.

This was a really enjoyable read. Grisham writes swift moving and engaging stories and this one doesn't disappoint. The story is intriguing and you keep reading to see what is going to happen to Patrick.

My favorite thing about this book is how it goes back and forth between characters. It's written from the perspective of about six or so characters and skips back and forth between them in a very fluid way. If I had read this from the perspective of only one character I could have easily found myself bored, but the switching of speakers keeps this story fresh and entertaining. I would highly recommend this book to anyone who enjoys a good mystery or law novel, or just anyone looking for a fast paced and intriguing story.

No comments:

Post a Comment