Friday, March 2, 2012

The Giver


For my first read in March, I read The Giver by Lois Lowry. The story is about a twelve year old boy named Jonas who lives in a "perfect" world. There is no pain, worry or war. Choices are made for the people of his community and precision of language is key. However, Jonas is chosen to be trained as the new Reciever by The Giver. Jonas will learn the truth about the past and the present and his view of the world will change forever.

Somehow I missed this book when in came out, as most people read it in middle school. My sister-in-law told me it was one of her favorite books, so I tucked it away on my "to read" list for several years. I am SO happy she suggested this book. It is truly one of my new faves of all time!

The writing style is perfect (clear, conscise and has "precision of language"). I love a writer who paints a picture for you or relays feelings clearly without getting too wordy and Lowry does that very well. Jonas is a wonderfully written character and I felt protective of him on his journey. There are several passages in this book that will stick with me for a long time.


This book is a very quick read. It's only 180 pages and honestly you could easily get through it in just a few hours. I found myself not wanting to put it down and I'm a little sad that it's over. I'd love to spend some more time with Jonas and The Giver. I would recommend this book to any adult and to any kids around age 12 and up.

1 comment:

  1. I had to read this for school, and I would really love to give it another try, as I find when anything is assigned for school I end up hating it (with the exception of Ender's Game!)

    ReplyDelete