Saturday, March 10, 2012

Catching Fire


My second read in March was Catching Fire by Suzanne Collins. This is the second book in The Hunger Games Trilogy. It picks up a few months after where The Hunger Games left off and we find Katniss back home in District 12 with her and Peeta hardly speaking and things with Gale confused. It is almost time for the Victory Tour, when Katniss learns how her rebellion against the Capitol at the end of the Hunger Games has President Snow out to get her. After the tour comes the Quarter Quell, the seventy-fifth Hunger Games, and Katniss finds herself right in the middle of things. However, this time she is not a bewildered teen but a symbol for something the Capitol is trying to quell.

So, I reviewed The Hunger Games last month and while it was a really good book this one is far better in my opinion. I find myself still annoyed with the "love triangle" which I feel is being too forced by the author in order to keep a certain demographic of readers interested but doesn't really belong in the story. (I felt it was pretty clear in The Hunger Games how Katniss feels about Peeta and found it annoying/distracting that the author made her so lacking in self-awareness). Anyways, this book begins with a bit of that but moves past it and throws us into so much excitement, it really keeps the pages turning!

Katniss' character begins to peel back the layers and we see more sides to her. We also get a whole new slew of characters (as well as reunite with some old ones) and Collins starts taking the series where I wanted it to go, with rebellion against the Capitol. The Hunger Games eludes to it but in this book we finally get the satisfaction of action being taken. This book ends in a place that leaves SO much to look forward to in the final installment of the series, Mockingjay.

I once again found myself daydreaming about where this book was going to go and what was going to happen to Katniss and Peeta. I am absolutely loving this series and can't wait to see what happens to Katniss, Peeta and some new favorite characters in Mockingjay!

No comments:

Post a Comment