Thursday, February 28, 2013

Drift: The Unmooring of American Military Power

My latest read was Drift: The Unmooring of American Military Power by Rachel Maddow.  This book was on my sister-in-law's to read list.  I read the description and thought, I have never read a political non-fiction book before, might as well give this a try.  I was so pleasantly surprised to find this book to be REALLY interesting.

The book is about how the United States military has really drifted away from it's original ideals and how we seem to now be moving from one war to the next.

Apparently, going to war used to be hard.  It was also a big deal that affected many of our country's citizens directly.  Since Reagan's time in office, things have moved far away from that.  Now it's much easier for us to go to war and less people feel it directly.  I found the part of this book about Reagan's time in office to be fascinating!  I had no idea this guy screwed us up so badly, lol.  There are tons of facts, figures and information but it is presented by Maddow in a very engaging manner.  I don't consider myself to be affiliated to a political party, but I feel like this book would appeal to anyone, no matter what their politics.

I highly recommend reading this book, you will learn a lot!  If you are like me and have never picked up a political non-fiction book before, this is a good one to start with. 

1 comment:

  1. I've watched her show a few times and I saw her on John Stewart talking about her book. I agree, she's engaging. Very bright, quick and easy-going. I've read a few political fiction novels...hmmmm, I'd probably like this. I'll check it out.

    ReplyDelete