Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Await Your Reply

For my second read in October I read, Await Your Reply by Dan Chaon.  The story is about three different characters: Ryan is a young college kid who gets some surprising news and changes his life in a drastic way.  Lucy is a recent high school graduate who takes off with her former teacher boyfriend.  Miles is a man who has spent the majority of his adult life searching for his twin brother.  The three of them are interconnected in unexpected ways and some of these connections have dire consequences.

It took me quite a while to work my way through this book.  (Thus me barely finishing it by the end of the month!).  It had multiple perspectives, which I normally love, but in this case not so much.  It goes back and forth between characters each chapter, but some of the characters are more interesting than others, which left me wishing for certain chapters to go by faster.  It also goes back and forth in time, but not in a smooth way.  It goes back and forth in time nearly every chapter, sometimes multiple times.  The bouncing back and forth got frustrating and made sections of reading feel choppy.  A lot of the trips back in time were for back story, but honestly I would have enjoyed less back story and more time spent with what the characters were up to now.

I don't think I would recommend this book.  It was a slow read for me and I just didn't really enjoy it.

No comments:

Post a Comment